In this section we'll cover the following topics:
Adding a form field
A text field is a form element which allows a recipient to enter text into your form. This would be used any time you want to allow the user the freedom to type what they want.
Click on the Text Field option, in the Forms Module. You will see the outline for the text field appearing on your document. You can position it wherever you would like. When you are ready, simply click the left mouse button to place the field. The Text Field option will remain lit up until you click it again so that you can place multiple fields at once.
While in Edit Mode you will be able to resize the text field or move it around.
You can update the settings for your form fields in the properties section.
- Click into Edit Mode.
- Select your form field.
- Choose the Properties icon
In the General section you will find the form field name. Form fields with the same name are grouped together as part of the same question.
- Click next to Name.
- Type the new name into the box.
- Hit the Enter key to confirm your choice.
In the Appearance section is where you’ll find most options. You can customize the look and feel of your form field.
The following appearance properties are shared by each type of form field.
You can change the width of the border of your form field.
- Click the number next to Width.
- Increase the number to make it thicker, you can hide it entirely by setting it to 0.
- Hit the Enter key or click anywhere in your document to finalize.
The border width should increase immediately.
You can update the style, or pattern of the border of the form field. By default, it is a solid line.
- Click the option next to Style.
- Choose a new one from the list.
You can update the color of the border of your form field.
- Click the box next to Color.
- Click on the color you want to use.
- Click here for more information about custom colors.
The Highlight option will change the visible animation when a user selects your form field.
- Click the dropdown next to Highlight.
- Choose from the list.
Under Rotate you can change the orientation of your field.
- Click next to Rotate and choose the angle of orientation you’d like to use.
You can set a tooltip for form field. When a user hovers their mouse over the field you will see your tip appear.
- Click next to Tooltip.
- Type your tip into the box.
- Press the Enter key to confirm.
While in View Mode you can verify the tool-tip.
- Hover your mouse over the form field.
You can set a unique background color for your field.
- Click the box next to Color.
- Choose your new color.
Other field properties
Finally, any text-based form fields will provide you with Font options.
- Type will let you change the font inside of this text field.
- Size will let you change the font size.
- Font Color will change the color of the font.
- Font Modifier will let you bold or italicize your text.
The following properties are also available when setting up your text fields.
You can enable Multiline mode (text field only). This will allow a user to create multiple lines of text within the same text field.
- Toggle the switch next to Multiline.
You can use the Password setting to hide the characters typed into the form field (text field only).
- Toggle the switch next to Password.
You can change the text alignment for the field.
- Click next to Text Alignment.
- Choose one from the list.
You can save any of these aesthetic changes for future fields of the same type.
- Click SET AS DEFAULT to use these settings moving forward.
You can reset the default at any time.
- Select any field.
- Open the properties.
- Click RESET DEFAUT.
In the Values tab you have a few options available in each type of form field that collects data.
- Click on the Values tab.
- Toggle the switch to enable each option.
- Read Only – the form field can be viewed, but the content cannot be changed.
- No Export – The form field can be filled out by a user, but the data cannot be extracted from this field.
- Required – To submit the form data, this field must be filled out by the user.
You can test that your Text field is configured correctly by checking it while in View Mode.
You can copy and paste any form fields you have already configured. Right click on the field and choose Copy.
Right-click anywhere on your document and click on Paste in order to add the copied text field.
Deleting a form field:
It is really easy to delete a field. Simply make sure you are in Edit Mode and then select the field you would like to delete. Once it is active, simply press the Delete key on your keyboard.
Click Insert Tab in the top left corner. You will see the Form Field option.
When you click on it, the Form Field Creation Tool box will appear letting you select the form field type.
Choose Text from the dropdown and click on Select.
You will now see the outline for the text field appear on your document. Click the left mouse button to place the field. You can position it wherever you would like. The Text Field option will remain active so that you can place multiple fields at once until you click on the option again to deactivate it.
There are to ways to resize the form fields.
1) Initially while placing the field you can hold down the left mouse button, drag the cursor and release it to customize the size.
2) After the form field was placed. Move the mouse icon to any black square at the corners of the form field. Hold the left mouse button and drag the cursor to change the size.
Release the mouse button to set your new field size.
Changing Form Field Properties
You can update the settings for your form fields.
- Select Object Properties.
- Click on the box right next to Name to type a new name.
You can prevent anyone to makes changes to the text in the form field by switching to Read-Only mode.
- Check the box next to Read-only.
You can enable Multiline mode. This will allow a user to create paragraphs of text within the same text field.
- Check the box next to Multiline.
You can restrict the number of characters in the form field.
- Type any number into the Max Length box.
The number indicates the number of characters that can be typed into the form field.
You can set the text Alignment for the form field.
- Click on the box next to Alignment.
- Choose Left, Center or Right position.
You can rotate the text within the text field.
- Click on the box next to Rotate.
- Choose the angle of orientation you’d like to use.
Deleting a form field
- Select the field you would like to delete.
- Press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Click on the Recycle bin icon at the top.